Thursday, May 10, 2012

Traffic

Open the lane across the way; another
Drawn out, heat stroke bay of flowering
Smells that take my breath away. Towering
Streams of greenery doth not sway the swing
Of the wind; and I cannot say, can't sing
A song in this obnoxious fray, shan't fling
Into the air any numerous words.
Here we stand, or sit I should say, in herds
Of wallowing willows; heat of the day
Sets fire to our greenery. In a way
I should be thankful I'm not walking, play
Music from the oldies; they be talking
On the radio of this fine May day,
And I could be eating, folding my tray.
On a long rampart of concrete, made clear
By the day's rolling stampede, lemonade
Strewn as-fault, this man made causeway of fear,
I cannot help but think I'd rather make trade
With those I see walking; O, such a parade
Of freedom, their greenery untouched by
The fumes of greed: all very young and spry!
Necessary evil they call it now,
Necessary; somebody kill me now!
Cause I'd rather die slowly, without pain,
Than to die in this traffic, man made bane. 
Still I suspect there's some good in this thing,
Otherwise I'd be dead long ago. Spring
Doesn't seem so long when you're walking through
An endless wilderness, Jungle of Nu.
Well I guess I've no more to say right now.
If you discover a new way, a prow
By which I may steer myself that doesn't
Involve staying behind  wheel's dent,
That is to say something more fine, pleasant,
Something that's faster, without the long wait;
So I don't feel like I'm stuck at the gate....
Let me know, and I'll buy it right away.
That would certainly brighten my poor day.

                               Traffic, (c) Luke Bennette, May 2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment